1.Thumbnail sketches the size of quarters. This one caught my eye.
2.Really wanted the form to be clear so I made a little maquette. Put a screw through a golf ball for the base and then use plumber's epoxy to attach wire armature. Then sculpey on top.
3. Found that maquette didn't follow thumbnail as much as I wanted so head was changed. Didn't know what I wanted to do as far as composition. Since I've never used the golden mean or paid attention to the rule of thirds I thought I'd start off by trying to build a composition around those ideas.
4.It's not really working. Shaping up to look more like a triptych. Trying to figure out what sorts of colors to use. Wondering whether I can get away with a green sunset. I add that non-sensical bomb, creating a tangent and two objects of similar size stacked on top of each other.
5.Working on rendering based off of my lighting reference photos.
6. Decide against green sunset. Remove bomb. Add some water on the right to try to work the sky color into that area of the painting. Also knock out bits of the building on the left so that the sky color can work in over there. Decide a blue light from the left would be neat. Create a normal sunset but try to desaturate it as much as possible so that it doesn't steal ALL attention. Decide overlapping the two critters would help create space and it would be handy to have one flying further in the background on the right.
7.Decided I needed to try to play down the background critter and switch the sunset to being more of a secondary light. Changed the hind legs. Added the eggs to try to give a reason for the static pose. Tried to bring some super saturated colors onto the head. Cleaned up the background wall. Changed the temperature of the far background. I liked that the human character gave an instant indicator of size but thought it was perhaps too easy to identify with so I changed it to some kind of dino guy so that it's not an oval right there and he snags less attention.